Even if you are hanging out for your Christmas holiday break and a chance to relax, as your coach I urge you to continue forward planning your career and future NOW.
I use the analogy of a tomato seed that is not much to look at but when is in fertile soil and with the requisite water, warmth, right amounts of sun and shade will emerge from the soil firstly as a tiny seedling but eventually bear lots of summer fruit. Pay day!
Consider yourself the tomato seed and the coming holidays the equivalent of the fertile soil, water, sun and shade where you plan and sketch your career path for 2012.
If you have been toying with the idea of changing careers or becoming an entrepreneur and have procrastinated, NOW is the time gather intelligence about your new venture and also do the inner work (on yourself) to prepare for the big leap.
Firstly the inner work
Below are a number of ways to get clear on the whys and then why not and how to’s; the list is by no means exhaustive but it will give you a starting point.
Top 5 Reasons for Changing Careers:
- Job dissatisfaction- Is this all there is?
- Burn out- Tired all the time
- Mind your head on the Glass Ceiling- You want a promotion?
- Not challenging anymore- It’s the same old song
- Better pay- Is the grass greener yonder?
Top 3 Tips for a Smooth Career Change
- Know why you want a change-See above
- Know where you want to go-Stock take your current skills
- Plan how to get there- You have the keys to unlocking the golden handcuffs
Top 5 Reasons for Not Changing Jobs:
- Fear of the unknown-I’m crap at managing my money
- Fear of the unknown- Do I know enough?
- Fear of the unknown- Can I make it on my own?
- Fear of the unknown- What if I fail?
- Fear of the unknown- I don’t have a Plan B
I suggest journaling what comes to mind based on the follow on phrases I have included after each point.
You will be very surprised at what pops out of your head. You will have before you the internal dialogue that has kept you from moving towards your goals. If you feel stuck and afraid, there is only one remedy-TAKE ACTION
As a gentle reminder, I’d like to leave you with the Law of Action summed up in one sentence;
The only time you have the chance to show courage is when you are afraid–Dan Millman Way of the Peaceful Warrior